It’s party day for the planet! For me, no celebration is complete without cake . . . so . . .
I made this very special Chocolate Decadence Cake with Chocolate Buttercream to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day.
I highly recommend indulging in this rich, earthy dessert topped with thick swirls of creamy chocolate buttercream . . . and finished with a fresh array of available edible flowers and foliage. I arranged cheery pansies, mint from my garden, and fennel fronds on top to create a spring masterpiece that is both beautiful to look at, and a delicious tribute to Mother Nature!
I originally developed this chocolate cake in partnership with my favorite local dairy producer, Clover Sonoma Farms, as well as a yummy Garden Cake with Vanilla Buttercream that they chose to feature on their website! Both versions are made with their wonderful dairy products courtesy of Clo’s pastured holsteins and local family dairies.
Happy Earth Day everyone. Let’s eat some cake!
HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE DECADENCE CAKE with edible botanicals
Printable version: Chocolate Decadence Cake with edible botanicals
Prep Time: 45 minutes Cook Time: 30-35 minutes Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup Clover Organic Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup organic sunflower or avocado oil
- 2 Clover Large Brown Cage Free Eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup Clover Organic Unsalted Butter; softened
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 6-8 Tbsp. Clover Organic Whole Milk
- a variety of edible flowers (pansies, nasturtiums, violets or other seasonal botanicals)
- fresh fennel fronds
- fresh mint leaves
To make the Frosting:
Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Finish mixing with an electric mixer until spreadable.
To make the Cake :
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line the bottom of two 9″ round, non-stick cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk in the milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Using an electric mixer, gradually beat in the boiling water, mixing until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly between the two pans. Bake at 350° on center oven rack for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place pans on cooling racks for 10 minutes. Invert cake rounds onto cooling racks, and finish cooling completely.
- To frost, center one cake round on a cake stand. Spread about a cup of frosting evenly on top. Place the other cake round on top of the first. Generously frost the sides and top of the cake with remaining frosting.
- Decorate with edible flowers and greens as desired. Serve immediately.
That is beautiful
Thank you so much Jovina! I hope you are healthy & safe dear.