Nothing warms and soothes on a chilly winter day like a bowl of hot homemade soup. It’s the quintessential comfort food that nourishes and satisfies the soul.
My personal remedy for brightening up any day is making a big pot of creamy, flavorful Thai Coconut Broccoli Soup. This delicious recipe, created by fellow blogger Sylvia Fountaine at Feasting At Home, is a new go-to favorite on my Eat Better Reboot list.
The bold ingredients blend together in a symphony of aromas that create an irresistible feast for the senses. I can’t help but inhale deeply as my kitchen fills with the heady fragrance of sautéed shallot, garlic, lemongrass and spicy ginger. By the time I’m finished cooking, the anticipation of that first spoonful is overpowering. It always hits the spot!
Feel free to adjust the amount of jalapeño pepper to suit your tolerance for heat. Since I’m always playing with my food, I added a half cup of fresh basil leaves to the original recipe for a subtle pop of flavor that works beautifully.
Naturally gluten-free, the recipe uses coconut milk instead of dairy to create its rich, creamy texture making it vegetarian and vegan friendly too. Trust me you’ll never know the difference!
Finally, because we feast with our eyes as well as our taste buds, I love serving my soups and stews in these gorgeous, one-of-a-kind ceramic bowls by artist Pandora Nash Karner (follow her Facebook feed for more information). Her beautiful serving pieces compliment any recipe.
THAI COCONUT BROCCOLI SOUP (4 generous servings)
Prep & cook time: 1 hour
Printable recipe here: FFThaiBroccoliSoupRecipe
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced lemongrass (or 3 tablespoons lemongrass paste)
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh ginger
- 1/2 – 1 medium size jalapeño pepper, seeds removed & chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound organic broccoli florets, chopped small
- 1 cup small diced white flesh sweet potato
- 1 cup canned organic coconut milk (liquid & solids) *save a little for garnish
- 1 cup fresh organic baby spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 – 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves (tender stems ok)
- 1 -2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Place the shallot, garlic, lemongrass, ginger and jalapeño in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until combined into a paste (scrape down the sides).
- Melt coconut oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the paste and fry, stirring often, until it begins to turn golden brown (3-4 minutes). It will smell heavenly!
- Add the water, salt and sweet potato. Bring to a boil. Cover and boil 2-3 minutes, then add broccoli, pressing into the liquid. Cover and simmer until the broccoli is tender (10-12 minutes).
- Add coconut milk (solids & liquid) and stir to incorporate.
- Remove from heat and blend with the fresh spinach, cilantro and basil in batches until smooth & creamy.
- Return to the pot and simmer on low, adding the fish sauce and lime juice to taste. Balance as desired.
Serve warm garnished with a swirl of coconut milk, a few slivers of basil, a drizzle of toasted sesame oil and fresh lime zest (if desired).