What can you do with a bounty of persimmons?
That was the dilemma I recently faced when gifted a bag brimming with ripe Fuyu fruits. This seasonal varietal, that is ripe when still hard, has a mild flavor and can be eaten raw like an apple (skin and all).
It is easily distinguished by its squat, pincushion-shape which differs from the large, acorn shaped Hachiya varietal. The latter can only be eaten when it has ripened to a uber soft, jelly- like consistency. Both are a beautiful sunset orange color.
While Hachiya pulp is often used as an ingredient in baked goods like persimmon bread and muffins, many people haven’t discovered that the Fuyu’s firm texture also holds up well when baked, particularly in a crisp.
This lovely and comforting seasonal dessert gets it’s flavor from hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice. Topped with a crumble blend of toasted gluten-free oats, almond meal, pecans, sugar, and spice it’s also vegan thanks to coconut oil instead of butter (but feel free to substitute if you prefer).
Delicious and not too sweet, this dish is the perfect finish to your holiday celebration!
Vegan & Gluten-Free Persimmon Crisp (serves 8-10)
- 8-10 Fuyu persimmons washed and cut into medium dice
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground Apple Pie Spice (I love the blend from The Local Spicery)
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder (as a thickener)
- 1/4 cup apple cider (non-alcoholic)
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground Apple Pie Spice
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash the persimmons and cut out the stem. Slice lengthwise and cut into medium dice. Place diced persimmons in a large mixing bowl and toss with filling ingredients. Spoon evenly into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- In a separate large bowl, mix all topping ingredients together. Use your fingers to work the topping into crumbles. Sprinkle evenly over the persimmon filling.
- Bake on center oven rack for 50 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy!