When sweet, sun-kissed summer strawberries are at their peak of flavor, it’s time to pull out all the stops and make a dessert befitting of the harvest.
This luscious Strawberry Mascarpone Cream Tart is, quite simply, a showstopper! Mounds of fluffy whipped mascarpone and heavy cream are folded around fresh sliced strawberries, and heaped into a divine gluten-free crust over a thin layer of strawberry jam.
The recipe was inspired by Madeline Sandilands who graciously hosted me in her home on my recent trip to England. She served it up as the pièce de résistance after a delicious home cooked meal I will long remember. I tweaked her original rendition to make the crust gluten-free, and added a smear of best quality strawberry jam underneath the airy mascarpone topping.
Crowned with a sprinkle of chopped pistachios, this dessert is sure to be a hit at your next party or family gathering.
GLUTEN-FREE STRAWBERRY MASCARPONE CREAM TART with PISTACHIOS (serves 8)
Printable recipe: FFGlutenFreeStrawberryMascarponeTart
First, make the gluten-free tart crust.
Ingredients (for one 10″ round tart pan with removable bottom):
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup organic coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond and coconut flours with the sugar. Drizzle in melted butter and stir with a fork (or your fingers) until blended. It will be crumbly, but the mixture should hold together when squeezed.
- Pour the dough into the tart pan and press evenly over the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- Place the tart on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes on center oven rack (or until golden brown). Remove to a cooling rack and cool completely while making the filling.
For the mascarpone cream filling:
- 8 ounce tub mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (I like Clover Sonoma brand)
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, cut into small pieces
- fresh strawberry jam (for tart assembly)
- 1/3 cup raw pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped
- Chill a large mixing bowl in the refrigerator.
- Combine mascarpone and sugar in the chilled bowl and process with an electric mixer on high speed until combined.
- Add vanilla and cream. Mix on low until combined, then increase to high speed and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold 1 1/2 pints of cut strawberries into the whipped mascarpone cream with a rubber spatula.
Assemble the tart:
- Use a spatula to spread a thin layer of strawberry jam over the bottom of the cool tart crust.
- Mound the whipped mascarpone cream with strawberries into the tart shell over the jam and spread to the edges of the crust.
- Top with remaining 1/2 pint of cut strawberries and sprinkle with chopped pistachios.
- Serve immediately.
Extra tart will keep in the refrigerator, covered lightly with plastic wrap, for 2 days.