Sun-kissed summer corn is at its peak, and if you’re tired of noshing those sweet kernels on the cob, then I have another way to savor the harvest!
This flavorful Sweet Corn Chowder is a simple, satisfying meal that will make you want to lick the bowl when no one is looking. The secret ingredient: smoked gouda cheese. It compliments the natural sweetness of corn while adding mild, smokey notes that elevate this soup to the next level.
The creamy texture has a soul-satisfying mouthfeel that goes perfectly with a side salad of fresh field greens and crusty sourdough bread.
I love it so much I’m making extra to freeze so I can remember what summer tastes like in the dead of winter.
SWEET CORN CHOWDER with SMOKED GOUDA (serves 4)
Printable recipe: FARMINISTA’S SWEET CORN CHOWDER with SMOKED GOUDA
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ears organic sweet white or bi-color corn, steamed to crisp tender
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 cup smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 cup organic half & half
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Use a sharp knife to cut the cooked corn kernels from the cobs. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized stock pot on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté until translucent and slightly caramelized (about 5 minutes).
- Add the corn kernels to the pot and stir to mix. Reserve 1/2 cup of corn mixture and set aside.
- Add the chicken broth and smoked gouda to the remaining mixture in the pot. Stir until cheese melts. Transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender to purée the soup. Return purée to the pot.
- Stir in the half & half and heat to warm. Do not boil! Add the reserved corn kernel mixture and season to taste with salt & ground pepper.
Enjoy straight from the pot or garnish with a swirl of pesto and crumbled bacon if desired.