I have a confession to make. I am a chocoholic, plain and simple. Dark chocolate in particular is my kryptonite.
If I was stranded on a desert island the one food I would want to have with me is chocolate. I love everything about it. The velvety texture on my tongue as it slowly melts in my mouth. The contrast of bittersweet and sweet flavors layered with complex notes of burnt caramel, browned butter, or maybe coffee. Savoring each rich, earthy bite makes me a little giddy.
I crave it too. Truth: I harbor a secret stash for an after dinner indulgence. The anticipation of my nightly rendezvous with a square or two of chocolate borders on obsession. Tucked safely away from family who might pilfer my cache, it beckons me like a clandestine friend who knows my weakness.
I am not alone. Chocolate is the indulgence of choice for a good many people and, as my kids are well aware, the perfect gift. With Mother’s Day fast approaching, I think the time is right to share my favorite recipe for Healthier Homemade Chocolates!
These blissfully delicious bites can be made in minutes with just four raw organic ingredients plus a little time in the freezer. Seriously! Are you ready for the best part? These chocolates contain NO processed sugar, fillers, or preservatives and they taste AMAZING!
Oh, and did I mention they are dairy free, gluten-free, and vegan?!
I know. It sounds to good to be true, but bear with me. One bite and you’ll be hooked. Follow the step by step instructions below and you’ll have Mom eating out of your hand in no time!
DECADENT VEGAN CHOCOLATES (makes 24 chocolates)
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil (I used Trader Joes)
- 1/2 cup organic maple syrup
- 1/2 cup best quality organic cacao powder (I recommend Navitas Naturals)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Madagascar vanilla bean (I recommend Lafaza) OR 1 teaspoon best quality pure vanilla extract.
- Fleur de Sel sea salt (*optional add-ins: chopped almonds, a drop or two of orange essential oil to taste, cinnamon)
- silicone candy mold
- Combine the maple syrup and coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium low heat until melted, stirring frequently.
- Whisk in cacao powder until smooth. Bring to a simmer and continue whisking constantly for 1 minute until the chocolate mixture is glossy.
- Remove from heat. Stir in ground vanilla bean or extract. If you want a Mexican-style chocolate, add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. A couple drops of food grade orange essential oil is also lovely.
- Pour into a flexible silicone candy mold, filling each square about 1/2 full. (Wilton makes a mini brownie bite mold with 24, 1×1″ spaces that’s the perfect size!)
- Sprinkle the top of each chocolate very lightly with good quality flake sea salt (Fleur de Sel). You can also sprinkle in chopped almonds or other nuts of choice if you like.
- Place the tray of chocolates in the freezer for one hour to a firm set. Note: these chocolates will hold their shape when chilled, but get soft if left at room temperature. Always store in the freezer until ready to indulge. To enjoy, simply pop a square out of the mold and into your mouth when the mood strikes.