Are you looking for an alternative to traditional rice? Cauliflower may be the answer!
This versatile crucifer has found a devout following as a gluten-free substitute for grain. Chopped into tiny bits, the faux “rice” has a surprisingly neutral flavor that is delicious steamed, sautéed, or mixed raw with other ingredients to create a healthy main course or side salad.
Whether you’re gluten intolerant or simply trying to slip more healthy veggies in to your diet, cauliflower rice is all the rage.
I admit I’m late to the party, but I was intrigued . . .
So when I saw these sweet, fresh-picked specimens at farmers market I decided to see what all the fuss was about.
Thinking ahead, I grabbed a crisp Armenian cucumber, some organic Italian parsley, and a pair of fragrant red onions. A big bowl of Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes from my garden rounded out the ingredients, along with toasted pine nuts from my pantry and a Meyer lemon from my backyard tree.
I like simple, full-flavored recipes that come together quickly and let the quality of the ingredients shine. This Greek-inspired raw Cauliflower Rice Salad combines all the sumptuous flavors of late summer harvest in one glorious bowl. It has soul-satisfying texture and crunch that’s perfect for lunch or a light dinner. I recommend making it several hours ahead and letting it rest in the refrigerator before serving so the flavors can develop.
GREEK CAULIFLOWER RICE SALAD (serves 4-6)
Prep time: 15-20 minutes.
- 1 medium-sized head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium cucumber (Armenian variety if you can find it), diced
- 1 pint sweet cherry tomatoes, rinsed and halved
- 1/2 large red onion, diced small
- 1 handful organic Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbl. best quality EVOO
- grind of sea salt & pepper to taste
- Place cauliflower florets in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until it resembles rice. *Do not over-process.
- Combine the “rice”, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, parsley, and pine nuts in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and EVOO. Pour over the vegetables and toss gently to mix.
- Season with ground sea salt & pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.