Daylight Savings Time ended over the weekend. The annual ritual of turning the clocks back marks my least favorite time of year. After months of seemingly endless days basking in summer’s sunlight, these quickening fall days feel compressed. Darkness descends abruptly at 5:00pm, and there is a very real sense that there aren’t enough hours in the day.
The change of season put me in the mood to make a hearty vegetable stew, and the beautiful array of winter squash at my local farmers market provided ample inspiration.
This delicious vegan and gluten-free dish, brimming with roasted butternut squash, red bell pepper, sweet onion, and chickpeas really hit the spot. I simmered the veggies with fragrant Moroccan-spices that perfumed my kitchen with tantalizing aromas and lifted my spirits!
This supremely comforting one-pot meal almost makes up for losing an hour of daylight.
Roasted Butternut Squash Stew with Moroccan Spices (4 servings)
Printable Recipe: Farminista’s Roasted Butternut Squash Stew with Moroccan Spices
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash, roasted (directions follow)
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup organic vegetable stock
- 4 Tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 (15.5oz) cans cooked organic chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 (14.4 oz can diced organic tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups rice (preferably sprouted brown or red)
- Preheat oven to 400. Cover a shallow roasting pan with foil.
- Using a potato peeler, remove the outer skin from a medium-sized butternut squash. Cut off the stem ends with a sharp knife and slice the squash in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds with a spoon and place the squash cut side down on a cutting board. Slice the squash into even strips (about 1/2” wide), and then cut the strips into dice.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the diced squash with 1 tablespoon melted organic coconut oil to coat, and spread evenly in the foil covered roasting pan.
- Place the squash on the center rack of the oven, and roast for about 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the squash roasts, cook the rice according to package directions. When finished, cover and set aside. *Time-saving tip: I love the microwaveable Sprouted Red Jasmine Rice in the freezer section at Trader Joe’s.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until the onion turns translucent.
- Stir in the vegetable stock, roasted squash, raisins, spices, chickpeas, and diced tomatoes with juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- Serve the stew over prepared rice and enjoy!