If you like pumpkin pie you’re going to LOVE my recipe for Pumpkin Butter Pots de Creme. These rich, flavorful custards have no crust which makes them a perfect gluten-free alternative to traditional pie. They are easy to make, and serve. All you need is a spoon!
I use a combination of canned organic pumpkin and spiced pumpkin butter blended with creamy eggnog which eliminates the need to add sugar or spice.
For a beautiful presentation, I bake them in recycled yogurt jars, but traditional ramekins or small (4 oz.) mason jars work equally well.
I recommend making them in the morning so they have time to cool and chill in the refrigerator. To serve, top with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and a drizzle of warm salted caramel sauce. If you’re feeling extra decadent, add a sprinkle of crushed ginger snap cookies (omit if you are gluten-free). Your guests will swoon!
Farminista’s Pumpkin Butter Pots de Creme (makes 6 servings)
Printable recipe: Farminista’s Pumpkin Pots de Creme
Prep time: 15 minutes; Bake time: 25-30 minutes
- 1/2 cup pumpkin butter (I used Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1/2 cup organic canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup eggnog (I recommend Clover Stornetta)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg white
- pinch sea salt
- boiling water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped until slightly stiff
- prepared salted caramel sauce (warm enough to drizzle)
- gingersnap cookies, crumbled into small bits (I used Trader Joe’s Triple Ginger Cookie Thins) *omit for gluten-free.
- Preheat oven to 325*.
- Combine pumpkin butter, canned pumpkin and eggnog in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, egg white, and salt together. Add to the pumpkin mixture and whisk to blend.
- Pour batter evenly into baking cups or ramekins (3/4 full).
- Place ramekins in an oven-proof baking dish. Carefully pour boiling water into the dish around the ramekins about half way up the sides.
- Place baking dish on the center rack of the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the custards are set.
- Carefully remove the dish from oven (the water will be extremely hot) and place ramekins on a rack to cool. Once cooled, chill in the refrigerator for at least three hours.
- Top with a spoonful of fresh whipped cream. Drizzle with warm caramel sauce and top with gingersnap bits if desired.