Tomorrow is the 4th of July!
Across our beautiful country there will be parades down main streets, picnics laid out on red checkered table cloths, backyard BBQ gatherings of friends and family, and, of course, dazzling fireworks displays that light up the night sky celebrating our nation’s independence.
If you’re looking for dessert inspiration this holiday, you can’t get better than this transcendent blueberry pie. The following recipe is a favorite of mine. It’s easy to make and the result is not too sweet which allows the rich berry flavor to take center stage. Heaping with fresh ripe blueberries in a flaky pastry crust, this pie is perfect served warm from the oven with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. Move over apples. This is a treat worthy of a patriot!
All-American Blueberry Pie
1 pastry recipe for a 9″ double crust pie
4 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed (preferably organic)
1/2 cup sugar
5 tablespoons tapioca flour
1 tablespoon butter, slivered
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Divide pie dough in half and roll out to desired thickness. Line a 9″ pie dish with one half rolled dough and trim, leaving a little excess hanging over the edges for the crust.
2. In a separate mixing bowl, combine sugar, tapioca flour and blueberries. Toss gently to mix and coat berries with the sugar & tapioca. Pour berries into pie shell. Dot with butter slivers.
3. Place remaining rolled pie dough over the top, and crimp edges of the crust together to seal. With a knife, cut a few slits in the top of the pie to vent while baking (you can make a pretty design).
4. Place pie on a foil lined baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake for about 55 minutes (varies from oven to oven so start checking after 45 minutes), until filling is bubbly and the crust is lightly browned. * If crusts begins to brown too much, cover edges with foil to prevent burning.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Serve with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and enjoy the compliments!